Thursday 7 April 2016

1 year

On April 7th 2015, exactly 1 year ago today, I found out I had cancer.
Today, I had my second follow up appointment, and I'm still in remission. I don't have to go back until July. This time a year ago, I didn't yet know what was going to happen.
I thought cancer was a death sentence. That is not the case anymore, and I'm living proof of it.
A lot can happen in a year, both good and bad, and it can change your life beyond recognition.
I'm forever grateful for everyday I wake up and feel well. I was never like that before, and in reality when I look back I was ungrateful for what I did have. I was doing well at school, had a lovely group of friends, and had my family close by. It's a shame that this had to happen to make me realise that.
But now that it has, I will never be ungrateful for those things ever again.
I turned 18 yesterday. For me being 17 will always have negative feelings attached, so the fact I never have to say I'm 17 again is fantastic. It has helped me draw a line under things.
I've realised I should be grateful for what I have rather than sad for what I don't.

2 comments:

  1. You will never be the same as you were before the illness Tash, nit taking things for granted, true, but mire positive than that. Your courage, determination and fortitude are at the core if who you are, and always will be. Your decision to share the experience, good and bad, si that others can take hope and inspiration from your journey was a wonderful gift to anyone and everyone touched by cancer. You turned eighteen this week, but you became a vert nature person during your journey. Enjoyed being eighteen Tash, you deserve every second of it. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in debt? Do you need to raise cash for health care costs or paying debts or in a state of financial breakdown? Wait! Consider as an Option to SALE YOUR ORGAN leggally, If you wish to sale. Message us immediately.As is bought for a maximum amount of {$800,000.00US Dollars}.The National foundation is curently needing donors.My name is Dr Naveen Kartik , am a Nephrologist in Max Hospital. Waiting for your responds Best Regards. Dr Naveen Kartik Telephone no / whats app: +919205402152

    ReplyDelete